In North America, asphalt is the leading choice for paving parking lots, driveways, streets, and even busy highways for several reasons. Asphalt pavement is faster to install than concrete, and it is much less expensive. When asphalt pavement needs to be repaired, the repairs will also be fast and economical. Furthermore, asphalt pavement is visually appealing. However, if you want to obtain the longest life possible for your asphalt parking lot or driveway and keep it looking its best, you should consider having a professional apply sealcoating every two years or so.
What Are the Benefits of Sealcoating?
Sealcoating is a highly effective, economical, dual-purpose treatment that provides both cosmetic and protective benefits.
• The UV rays emitted by the sun turn asphalt pavement from a rich, black color to a dingy gray. However, these same rays rob the pavement of the moisture it needs to remain flexible, leaving it brittle, dry, and more prone to damage. Sealcoating blocks harmful UV rays to prevent damage, but it also restores the pavement’s dark color.
• Sealcoating can fill small surface cracks and imperfections to prevent damage from worsening. This also makes your pavement more attractive by giving it a smooth, even appearance.
• Asphalt and many automotive fluids, including oil and gasoline, are petroleum distillates. Since they were once combined, they will seek to recombine when they come into contact with each other, and this process tends to be destructive. The petrochemicals leaked by vehicles will react with the asphalt binder in your pavement, leaving it soft and easily damaged. Sealcoating retards the progress of petrochemicals, giving you additional time to remove them before they can damage your pavement.
• The dark background helps make your pavement markings more visible, which helps make your parking lot safer. The sharp contrast between your markings and the background also improves the curb appeal of your property.
• Multiple studies that compared the life of asphalt pavements that received professional sealcoating to those that did not revealed that sealcoating often doubled the pavement’s life. Furthermore, the protected pavements required fewer major repairs despite their longer lives.
At Two Men and A Striper, LLC, we specialize in preventive maintenance for asphalt parking lots and driveways in the greater Pittsburgh area. We provide sealcoating, asphalt patching, line striping, and crack sealing. We are known for the quality of our work, our professionalism, our dedication to customer satisfaction, and our highly competitive rates. For a free, no-obligation estimate, call 412-213-8429 or submit the online form.